Biochemistry, Anatomy And Physiology past Question paper
The Kenya National Examinations Council
Diploma in Applied Biology
This paper consists of TWO sections: A and B.
Answer ALL questions in section A and any THREE questions from section B
SECTION A (40 marks)
Answer ALL questions in this section.
1. (a) List any two digestive enzymes produced by accessory glands. (2 marks)
(b) Name the types of joints found between the following bones.
(i) Vertebral bones (1 mark)
(ii) Cranial bones (1 mark)
2. Explain why carbon monoxide is considered to be one of the most dangerous respiratory poisons. (4 marks)
3. Explain the process of blood clotting. (4 marks)
4. Explain how the distribution of auxin affects geotropism. (4 marks)
5. Draw a labeled longitudinal section of a chloroplast. (4 marks)
6. Distinguish between the following:
(a) DNA and RNA; (2 marks)
(b) Fats and oils. (2 marks)
7. State any four differences between hormonal and nervous system of communication. (4 marks)
8. List any four dynamic functions of proteins. (4 marks)
9. With the aid of structural formula explain how lipids are formed. (4 marks)
10. Describe the concept of photorespiration in plants. (4 marks)
SECTION B (60 marks)
Answer any THREE questions from this section.
1l. (a) Draw a labelled cross section diagram of a young dicot root. (4 marks)
(b) Describe mechanisms of translocation in plants. (16 marks)
12. (a) Explain how urine is formed in the nephrons of the kidney. (10 marks)
. (b) Describe the regulation of blood sugar in man . (10 marks)
13. (a) Explain how an impulse is transmitted across the synapse. (10 marks)
(b) Describe the process of fertilization in flowering plants. (10 marks)
14. Describe any five reactions that monosaccharides can undergo in the body. (20 marks)
15. (a) Draw the structural formula of an amino acid molecule. (4 marks)
(b) Describe the glycolytic breakdown of glucose. (16 marks)