BUSINESS EDUCATION SINGLE AND GROUP CERTIFICATE EXAMINATIONS
DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT MODULE III
LABOUR AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
The Paper consists of SEVEN questions.
Answer any FIVE questions in the spaces provided in the question paper.
ALL questions carry equal marks.
1) (a) Explain five ways in which employees may contribute to good Industrial relations in an
Organization. (10 marks)
((b) Explain five objectives that the Federation of Kenya Employers (FKE) seeks to achieve in Labour and industrial relations. (10 marks)
2) (a) Explain five challenges faced by the National Social Security Fund ( NSSF) in executing its mandate. (10 marks)
(b) The employment and labour relation court (Industrial Court) is responsible for
promoting good industrial relations in the country. Explain five ways in which the court
Achieves this objective. (10 marks)
3) (a) Outline six management practices that may lead to industrial disputes in an
organization. (10 marks)
(b) Highlight four grounds on which the management of an organization may refuse to
recognize a trade union. (12 marks)
4) (a) Explain four tactics that may be used by an employer to force employees to end a
Strike. (8 marks)
(b) Outline six duties of employees in ensuring their own health and safety at the
Workplace. (12 marks)
5) (a) the public officers and ethics act 2009 requires officers to maintain professionalism
When discharging their responsibilities. Outline five provisions of the Act, in relation
to this requirement. (10 marks)
(b) Explain five reasons that make it necessary for a country to enact labour laws.
6) (a) Outline six information’s that should be contained in a contract of employment.
(b) The government bonds employees to ensure they do not leave service soon after benefiting from government sponsored training. (8 marks)
7) (a) Explain five reasons that make workers organize themselves into trade unions. (10 marks)
(b) Explain five provisions of the factories Act 2007, in regard to the fire precautions that should be observed by the occupier. (10 marks)