Computer Applications 1 Theory July 2014 past paper
Exam year;July 2014
COMPUTER APPLICATIONS I (THEORY)
Time: 1 hour
THE KENYA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
CRAFT CERTIFICATE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
COMPUTER APPLICATIONS I (THEORY)
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
Write your name and index number in the spaces provided above.
Sign and write the date of examination in the spaces provided above.
This paper consists of TEN questions.
Answer ALL the questions in the spaces provided in this question paper.
1. (a) Outline two page formatting features used in word processing documents. (2 marks)
(b) Define the term workbook as used in spreadsheet programs. (2 marks)
2. (a) Explain the function of thesaurus feature used as in used in word processing programs. (2 marks)
(b) Explain the function of the split window feature as applied in spreadsheet programs. (2 marks)
3. (a) Describe the term OLE object as used in database programs. (2 marks)
(b) Figure 1 shows a section of a standard tool bar in a word processing document. Use it to answer the question that follows.
Identify the tools labeled (i) and (ii). (2 marks)
4. (a) Faith, a computer technician at Faida Technical Training Institute, would like to prepare a report detailing quantities of equipment in the laboratory using charts. Outline two application programs that she would use to achieve her
objective. (2 marks)
(b) Table 1 is an extract from a spreadsheet worksheet showing items in a shop.
Use it to answer the question that follows.
Using a function and cell references only, write a formula that would be used to computer the number of items whose profit is less than 55. (2 marks)
5. (a) Differentiate between toggle case and sentence case menu options as used in word processing programs. (2 marks)
(b) With the aid of a diagram, outline a one- to- many relationship as used in database programs. (2 marks)
6. (a) Write a DOS command that could be used to perform each of the following tasks:
(i) display the current system time; (1 mark)
(ii) clear the screen. (1 mark)
(b) Nicholson, a computer student, intends to send an email to his friend. Outline two email applications that he would use to achieve his objective. (2 marks)
7. (a) Charlyn, a computer user, would like to create a database table that contains fields whose data type is text. Outline two display controls that the field could be assigned. (2 marks)
(b) After Charles read an email he clicked on the forward command. State the function of this command. (2 marks)
8. (a) With the aid of an example, describe the term slide transition as used in presentation program. (2 marks)
(b) Paul, a web designer, developed a website for a company he works for.
Outline two uses the company would have for the site. (2 marks)
9. (a) Under what circumstance would the keyboard numeric pad be used when entering data in the computer. (2 marks)
(b) The Internet has many services which it can offer including telnet. Describe the purpose of this service to users. (2 marks)
10. (a) Ruth a computer teacher would like to use a spreadsheet program to compute the total mark scored by students in an examination. She was advised to use
cell addresses in the formula. State two advantages of using this formula. (2 marks)
(b) Catherine was working on a presentation created using a presentation program and wished to insert a slide between slides 3 and 4. Outline the steps she would follow to achieve her objective. (2 marks)