MANAGEMENT OF ECDE
Time: 21/2 hours
THE KENYA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
CERTIFICATE IN EARLY CHILDHOOD
DEVELOPMENT AND EDUCATION
FOUNDATIONS AND MANAGEMENT OF ECDE
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
This question paper consists of TWO sections; A and B
Answer ALL the questions in section A and any FOUR questions in section B.
Answers to both sections A and B must be written in the spaces provided in this booklet.
Do NOT remove any pages from this booklet.
Candidates should answer the questions in English.
SECTION A (40 marks)
Answer ALL the questions in this section in the spaces provided.
1. a) Explain the meaning of the term data as used in research.
b) Give four qualities of an effective questionnaire.
c) Identify four reasons that would make a researcher use secondary data in a study.
2. a) Define the term military government.
b) Give four negative effects of a military form of government.
c) State four conditions under which a by – election may be held in Kenya.
3. a) Outline four uses of a log book in an Early Childhood development and Education (ECDE) centre.
b) Identify six functions of the Teacher’s Service Commission (TSC) in the development of ECDE programme in Kenya.
4. a) Define the term leadership.
b) Give four reasons that make integrity an important quality in management of community projects in ECDE.
c) Propose four communication barriers that hinder a teacher from mobilizing the community to support ECDE programmes.
SECTION B (60 marks)
Answer any FOUR questions from this section in the spaces provided after question 9.
5. a) Define the term objective.
ii) Discuss four general objectives of the ECDE curriculum for pre – school children.
b) State five components that a pre- school teacher should consider when taking staff minutes.
6. a) Identify seven causes of Maji Maji rebellion of Tanzania.
b) Explain four ways that a teacher would use to promote moral values among pre – school children.
7. a) Outline five advocacy strategies that a pre – school teacher would use in mobilizing the community.
b) Evaluate five ways in which a research conducted on physical facilities would be used for planning in an ECDE Centre.
8. a) Highlight five benefits of feedback in a communication process during community mobilization,.
b) Examine five sections that should be included in chapter one of an ECDE research project.
9. a) Outline five roles of cooperative societies in national development in Kenya.
b) Justify the importance of a syllabus to an ECDE teacher.