FOUNDATIONS OF ECDE AND
Time: 3 hours
THE KENYA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
DIPLOMA IN EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT AND EDUCATION
FOUNDATIONS OF ECDE AND CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
This paper consists of SIX questions.
Answer any FIVE questions in the spaces provided after question 6.
Each question carries a total of 20 marks
Candidates should check the question paper to ascertain that
All the pages are printed as indicated and that no questions are missing.
1. a) Explain the term, ‘sociology.’
b) Explain five rights of a parent as outlined in the Children’s Act 2001.
c) Suggest four measures that an ECDE centre can take to reduce incidences of child abuse.
2. a) Outline four challenges facing ECDE after the introduction of free primary education (F.P.E.).
b) Explain five similarities between Maria Montessori’s and Froebel’s Philosophies of Early Childhood learning.
c) Explain three measures that an ECDE centre in Kenya can take to mitigate hunger.
3. a) Describe four ways through which the African traditional society imparted skills in young children.
b) Highlight three principles advocated by Jean Jacques Rousseau that are in practice today in ECDE centres in Kenya.
c) Discuss three similarities between the provision of ECDE in Kenya and Ghana.
4. a) Explain the term, ‘hidden curriculum.’
b) Highlight four goals of education in Kenya and give relevant examples of how the ECDE curriculum is helping attain these goals.
c) Explain five instruments that the Kenya Institute of Education (K.I.E.) may use to evaluate the ECDE curriculum.
5. a) List the seven steps of curriculum development as indicated in Gilbert P. Oluoch’s theory.
b) Explain four categories of physical and outdoor activities in which learners may be involved.
c) state five measures that can be taken to reduce negative effect of commercializing ECDE teacher training in Kenya.
6. a) Explain four principles that should govern ECDE curriculum development according to Jerome Bruner.
b) State four ways in which an ECDE centre can promote health care needs of the learners.
c) Discuss the role of Teachers Service Commission (TSC) in the development and implementation of curriculum in Kenya.